Sunday, November 4

Day Four: Good Literature

I am grateful for good books. I cannot possibly describe how deep my love for books goes. But in third grade, it was my goal to read every book in my English teacher's classroom. (That included all of the "easy" books, which I still enjoyed reading for the gorgeous art in them, as well as all of the chapter books for advanced students). By the end of the year, I had succeeded.
I love reading so much, that I decided on my major because of it.  Nothing is more important to me than being a mother and raising a family...but I would still like to support my family in some way. Then I considered my primary interests and talents: reading, writing, editing, drawing, painting. I then thought, is there some job out there where I could get paid to read? Yes, I thought. There is. Editing and publishing books was my solution. If I could work for a company that publishes children's or young adult books, I could read things like "Harry Potter" and "The Hunger Games" all the time. And so, for those of you who are curious, that is why I chose to be an English major with a minor in Editing. I love to read. So much.
Thank you, for giving me good books to read. 

"There is no surer foundation than a mutual taste in literature."
~P.G. Wodehouse

“I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once.”
~C.S. Lewis

"There is something wonderful about a book. We can pick it up. We can heft it. We can read it. We can set it down. We can think of what we have read. It does something for us. We can share great minds, great actions, and great undertakings in the pages of a book."

~Gordon B. Hinckley

"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
~C.S. Lewis

"Good books are as friends, willing to give to us if we are willing to make a little effort."
~Gordon B. Hinckley

"What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it."
~J.D. Salinger

"If we could follow the slogan that says, 'Turn off the TV and open a good book' we would do something of substance for a future generation."
~Gordon B. Hinckley

"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it."
~James Bryce

"I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves."
~Anna Quindlen

Just a few books that I love:
The Book of Mormon
Pride & Prejudice
Jane Eyre
Wuthering Heights
To Kill a Mockingbird
Harry Potter (1-7)
The Hunger Games (1-3)
Divergent
Insurgent
The Maze Runner (1-3)
Twilight series (fine, I admit it)
The Host
The Great Gatsby
Warriors Don't Cry
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Three Cups of Tea
Ethan Frome
The Awakening
The Westing Game
A Christmas Carol
This Side of Paradise
House of the Scorpion
Roald Dahl books (too many to name!)
A Series of Unfortunate Events (1-13)
Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites (series)
The Lion, The Witch, And the Wardrobe
Julie of the Wolves (1-3)
Walk Two Moons
Ruby Holler
& many, many more. 

My dream library: 
Cozy and rustic and warm and clean
Or...
This wouldn't be so bad...Beauty and the Beast library (this is from Bachelorette by the way ;)

I like this one, too
Beautiful--love the colors 
If you love to read as much as I do and have a suggestion for a great book, I want to hear about it!
Please, by all means, give me a list of things I need to read...I am craving another series to fall in love with. 

1 comment:

  1. When you get that library, honey, you better plan on building a room next to it for your mother-in-law who will undoubtedly live there with all those books. :) I'm so glad we have this mutual passion and that you have chosen such a cool major!!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to hear from you & will reply if I can!