Saturday, December 21

Gourmet Spicy Sausage Penne

*Things have been changed since I started making this a couple years ago. I now slice up a colored bell pepper to add some extra texture and flavor. I add it after the onion, garlic, sausage have been added. I also cook the penne in the same pan as the other ingredients which increases the flavor though it takes a little longer for the penne to get tender. I no longer melt the cheese on top in the oven (I skip that part). I also put foil down across the baking dish to save cleanup later (HUGE lifesaver if you hand wash your dishes)...scrubbing dried/melted cheese off a dish is not my favorite!*
I realized I haven't shared recipes in a while and thought I had better do so before the end of the year! This is seriously one of our family's favorite recipes ever since I first tried it this past spring at a baby shower. It was made by my friend and visiting teaching companion, Sara, and I knew I just had to get the recipe from her after because it was so amazing that I had like five helpings. I've made it twice when I've made meals for friends in the ward, and both times they loved it and wanted the recipe. Our brother and sister-in-law loved it too. Basically, I've never met anyone who hasn't liked it yet. And my favorite thing about it--it tastes even better the second day!

The recipe has a few random ingredients that I don't buy on a regular basis, so it's more of a once a month thing (though we had it three days ago and I'm making it again tonight, so...yeah it's that good). Anyway here it is for everyone to try!


Ingredients:
penne pasta (follow serving sizes on the bag...I usually use the whole thing because it's so amazing)
olive oil (for frying the sausage in)
1 lb. smoked turkey sausage (sliced)
1 chopped white or yellow onion
2 minced garlic cloves
About 2 cups chicken broth
1 10oz. can Mild Ro-Tel tomatoes with green chiles
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup shredded Monterray Jack cheese
sliced scallions
salt and pepper
red pepper flakes

Instructions:

Start with a large frying pan (the biggest you have, probably). You'll be adding a lot of ingredients so the bigger (and deeper) the better. Pour some olive oil in the pan and add the sausage slices, chopped onion, and minced garlic until they have nice brown edges.
Then there are two ways to do the next part. You can either add the dry penne to the frying pan to be cooked with the other ingredients, or you can boil it separately, then mix everything later. Before I got a big frying pan, I used to cook the penne separately, but now that I have a larger one and have cooked it with the penne mixed in with the other ingredients, I HIGHLY recommend that method! I love the flavors that get into the penne. It takes a little longer to cook (the penne is supposed to take 11 minutes but it's been closer to 20 to get to the softness I like) but it is worth it!
So I add the chicken broth, Ro-tel tomatoes (undrained), and heavy whipping cream to the pan and bring it to a boil. I then turn the heat down and let it simmer for five-ten minutes. (If you choose to add the penne to the pan, I would simmer for at least fifteen). I add some salt and pepper, (sometimes chili powder) and red pepper flakes for more spice.
Then, I pour my penne mixture into a baking dish and spread it out evenly. I add the shredded cheese on top, then (note: I no longer do this oven step) I stick the dish in the oven (at 350 degrees) and let it bake until the cheese on top is melted. Usually the mixture is still hot enough that the cheese melts on the top without any assistance.
Once the cheese is melted, I take it out and mix it up again, then sprinkle the chopped scallions on top to serve.

Serve with a baguette slice and a drink--especially if you made it extra spicy!
Tell me if you try this recipe and how it goes for you:)
Also let me know if you make any alterations so I can try them myself. 
I hope you like it! (I'm pretty certain you will!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love to hear from you & will reply if I can!