Friday, December 19

Pica. Is it real or in my head?

I have a weird little confession for you. It's seriously one of the strangest things that has happened to me so no judging! I'm only sharing because I'm curious to hear about other people's experiences and because it has been weighing heavily on my mind the last few weeks. 

I'll start by sharing that I have never ever smoked. I've never had even an inkling of a desire to smoke. The smell of cigarettes grosses me out and I usually hold my breath when I'm near a smoker. I've never even been asked if I wanted to smoke. It has always just been a no-brainer for me. Consequently, one of the plus sides of living in a place that's 70% Mormon (or more) is that there are very few smokers. It is a pretty rare thing to even see a cigarette on the ground. 

Which is why what I'm about to tell you is so weird for me! If pica is real and not just some kind of psychological thing, I'm pretty sure this pregnancy is causing me to have a bizarre craving for cigarette smoke. 

Basically in the last month, I have thought about cigarettes/smoking (not doing it myself of course though) every single day. Every time I have read the word cigar (which was quite frequently in the book The Pit, which I had to read for class) I found myself trying to imagine or remember what cigarette smoke smells like. It was the same thing with seeing someone smoke on TV. I'd have the desire to smell or taste a cigarette. Every. Single. Time. Whenever I see someone smoking, the thought crosses my mind that I'd like to walk near them and inhale. When I see a cigarette butt on the ground, I have the sickest urge to pick it up and smell it or taste it. I drove behind someone today who was smoking out the window of their truck and I was tempted to put my window down to try and smell it. I mean, it's just so strange for me. But it's a very real urge. 

I just can't explain cause for it other than that this pregnancy has given me some degree of pica. I've read of some pretty crazy cravings people have had while experiencing pica but I haven't heard much about a 100% nonsmoker craving cigarette smoke. I also read that pica is often evidence of an iron deficiency but last time my blood was tested I was at an okay level. Anyway, it's just really weird and I hope it goes away soon or at least by the time little guy is born because it's kind of annoying thinking about smoking every day when it never even used to cross my mind. 

Have you or someone you know ever had some kind of pica during pregnancy or any other bizarre craving? I had an aunt who craved rocks during her pregnancy (I believe it was rocks) but that's about as close a connection as I can think of. 

1 comment:

  1. I never did personally but another blog I read wrote about it. http://www.babyrabies.com/2013/04/pica-its-back/
    p.s. I love your blog, your family is so cute :)
    -Courtney

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to hear from you & will reply if I can!