Saturday, February 22

Rag Curls How To & Social Media

Just thought I should first inform you, dear friends, that I got an Instagram last month (just a tad late jumping on the wagon) and I love it because I can basically keep in touch with family and friends (and strangers haha) better through pictures. It's pretty awesome. You can find my Instagram page right here if you want to follow me or whatever ;)

Also, if you are looking for a really fun blog to follow, go check out The Freckled Fox (cutest name ever, huh?). I absolutely love it and have spent far too much time the last few days stalking Emily (the writer) and her adorable life (she also is in her early 20s and already has 4 babies! Awesome!). Also, she started following my blog today which--and this probably sounds silly, but--was like the most exciting thing ever for me. I kind of freaked when I noticed (Dalin was like "What?!" because I sort of yelled). Anyway, go follow Emily on her blog right now, and if you aren't following me already (but you read here a lot), you can follow me on the left. I think you can turn off email notices or something and I would if I were you because no one needs anymore junk mail in their inbox...seriously. I unsubscribe to everything so I completely understand why you wouldn't want that in your life.

But on to what you probably came here for--the rag curls tutorial.

Rag Curl Tutorial

The best part about this hairstyle is that it uses no heat (which means less damage to your lovely hair), it happens overnight so you can wake up with an amazing 'do, and besides being really easy, it has great results! And I'm serious when I say it's easy--I've always had a hard time styling my own hair because I didn't have a sister or anyone to practice on growing up (thankfully now I have a daughter so I can try everything on her ;). Plus, I like that you can do these sitting in bed in about five minutes.

What you need:

An old rag or shirt you can cut up
Scissors
Warm water (preferably in a little spray bottle if you have one)
A comb
Hairspray or gel


1. You will cut your fabric of choice (I think cotton or something similar is best because it doesn't slip as easily) into 12-15 strips, each about 8-10" long and 1" wide. I have thick hair and 14 worked for me.

2. Lightly brush your hair (mine gets super tangled and knotty throughout the day, especially in the dry static) so it is workable.

3. Use the comb to pull out a small section of hair, about a quarter size around. Spritz it with water. If you don't have a spray bottle, you can just moisten your fingers in a cup of water and drag it along the strand to get it pretty moist.

4. Take a strip of fabric and place the end of your hair (about an inch from the bottom) in the center of the strip, making a little "t" or "x" or whatever. Pinch the hair to the strip and slowly start to roll upward toward your head, alternating hands to pinch the hair on the strip as you go. Starting is the hardest part especially if you have layers and pieces of hair like to fall out of your section, but once you get the hang of it, everything else is easy. Also don't worry if there are a lot of loose strands--it doesn't affect how your hair will turn out as much as you think.

5. Once you've rolled your hair all the way up to your head, find the ends of the rag with your fingers and tie a simple knot. I do not double knot mine--I just do a simple loop and pull it tight and the moisture and cotton hold pretty well.

6. Continue to work your way around your head doing small sections until every strand is tied up.

7. Spray a little water or hairspray if you want (I hardly use any hairspray at all).

This is what it looks like: 
You'll probably feel like Laura Ingalls or Anne Shirley. 
Side view
Back view
8. Sleep on it. (Yes! Sleeping is involved!) Also, in case you're wondering, I do not find sleeping on the rag curls uncomfortable. I actually probably sleep better if anything because I'm dreaming of waking up to luscious curly hair!

9. Wake up and visit a mirror. You'll probably be all like, "What a disaster," because you look kind of ridiculous. But don't worry, that's just how this works.

10. Un-tie each rag and slide it out of your loop of hair. You will probably have pretty tight ringlets.


11. Pull your fingers through the curls and use product or a little water if you want them to be softer and more natural.

12. Take a picture and go out and enjoy the day, you lovely curly-haired lady!

Some notes: 

  • Tightness and strand size are key. If you want tight, tight curls, use more rags and smaller strands of hair. If you want big, loose curls, use fewer rags and larger sections. 
  • If you do not moisten your hair, do not expect the curls to hold as well. They will probably fall flat in a few hours, especially if your hair does not curl easily in general. On the other hand, if you use water and hairspray, your hair can last as long as three days still looking great! 
  • If you wake up and a rag has slid off in the night, don't stress! Just use a curling iron to tidy up that strand and any other loose ones you may have missed. Chances are tidying up will only take you about five minutes. I am pretty good at tying the rags up and rarely, if ever, have to use an iron. 
Wishing you happy & gorgeous hair days, 
By the way, please let me know if you try these! I would love to hear how they turned out for you!
Also, if you already do rag curls, is this the technique you use?
Are you following The Freckled Fox or my blog yet?? If not, get to it! 

2 comments:

  1. How do you have so much time to blog almost everyday? I never can find the time to do anything with my 3 month old. Are you super woman? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yayyyy! i'm so excited you posted your tutorial. can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to hear from you & will reply if I can!