Thursday, November 14

5 Passions & A State Test

This post is for my series, 30 Things My Kids Should Know About Me.

Reading
Probably my favorite activity and how I spend most of my days. Also, the reason I want to become an editor. So I can read all day.
Writing
I write a lot. I write in my journal (I'm about to start my 30th any day now), I write on my blog (well, type), I write notes to Dalin, I write letters and thank-you cards, and just recently, Dalin and I each started Gratitude Journals for one another (I'll blog about that later). I love writing and would like to write a book someday--when I have the time (Haha! Like that will happen).
Painting
I have always been fairly blessed with a talent in art my whole life, mainly because artistic genes run in my family. I never used to think that being artistic was cool--in fact, I used to think it was a pretty useless talent. I enjoy doing art for fun, but I've always thought a career in art seemed ridiculous (much to my parents' dismay--they have always wanted me to become an artist or illustrator). Now that I'm a stay-at-home mom, I think it might be a fun way to make a little extra money. I'll share more on this in another post.
Just recently, my little brother made an art gallery of my work in his bedroom (my old room). I thought it was really sweet of him :)
Teaching
I love teaching. If I could have picked all the careers I want to do, teaching would definitely be among them. I loved teaching Primary for a year, and now I love having the opportunity to teach my daughter. Right now I am teaching Tenley to speak Spanish, American Sign-Language (neither of which I'm fluent in), to count, colors, shapes, the alphabet, body parts, to sit up, to stand, to listen, to talk, and to have as great a love for reading as I do. Teaching an infant involves a lot of repetition and the progress is slow, but I know that my efforts will be rewarded if I am patient and persistent as a good teacher ought to be.
Reading with my baby like we do every morning.
Laughing
I love to laugh! (Saying so always reminds me of the song in Mary Poppins with Bert and Uncle Albert). I probably laugh way too much. It used to get me in mild trouble at church and school. I just can't help it though! I laugh my way through life. People probably think I'm weird because I have such a broad sense of humor--I kind of laugh at everything. One of my favorite quotes is by Marjorie Pay Hinckley: "The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh." This quote is kind of my motto. That, and honoring the words, "Live, Laugh, Love." Because what things could make one happier? I count my successes as a mother  daily not by how much we did that day, but how much I made my little girl laugh. I really hope I can teach her to love laughter.

I just love these lyrics from Mary Poppins:

We love to laugh! (ha ha ha ha!)
Loud and long and clear
We love to laugh
So ev'rybody can hear!

The more you laugh!
The more you fill with glee
And the more the glee
The more we're a merrier we!


★   ★  
For fun, Dalin and I took this interesting (slightly controversial) state mood test, which, with ten simple questions, determines where you should live. 
Basically, Dalin took it first and got Tennessee. 
Then I took it and got South Carolina. 
Then...Dalin took it for me and got Georgia. 
And I took it for him and got Washington. Random. 
We thought it was funny that three of the states are tucked away into the southeast. I especially thought it was weird because I had been telling Dalin a few days before that we should look into schools in North Carolina because I just have a good feeling about that place (I've only driven through it on family trips to Florida so I don't know much about it other than that the weather is lovely) and all three states are touching North Carolina. Maybe it's just me, but I thought that was weird. Or a sign. Or something.
Anyway, the test was fun to take and so I thought I would provide the link so you can take it! But then you have to comment (pretty please!) and tell me where it said you should live! You can take it for your spouse, too, if you want!
Let me know where it says you should live (and what you think about it) by leaving me a quick comment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love to hear from you & will reply if I can!