Thursday, September 26

The Firsts


We moved out of our first apartment in March 2013, shortly after our sister Shaina married our brother-in-law, Layton. Our address used to be 300 Wymount Terrace. It is now 268 Wymount Terrace (we didn't move that far). The apartment was on the third floor of 5C. It had four tiny rooms--three, if you count the living room and kitchen as one. We had a lot of firsts in that apartment, so even though we frequently complained about its size and other areas where it was lacking, it still holds a tiny portion of our hearts and our history.

The Firsts

It was our first home as a married couple.
It was the first place we established a habit of scripture study and family prayer.
It was the first place we had friends over to play board games and watch movies and eat desserts.
It was the place where we had our first sleepover, which entailed making a bed out of pillows and our comforter placed by the open front porch door because we had no A/C and our apartment was blistering hot our first night there.
It was where I first discovered life without a dishwasher or air conditioning.
It was where I first learned that Dalin hates doing laundry.
It was where I first learned to cook well okay. For real.
It was where we first mapped out our future together and shared our deepest secrets.
It was where I returned to alone, sobbing, after flying home from Arizona on our first Thanksgiving together because I had to work at Dillard's on Black Friday.
It was the place where we had our first Christmas with just the two of us.
It was where I decorated its tiny rooms for every season and holiday for the first time.
It was the place where we lived when we started leasing our first new car.
It was the first place we returned to late at night after long drives to Boise to visit Dalin's family for weekend trips and holidays. 
It was the first place we came home to after much-too-short summer visits to New Hampshire.
It was the place where I began the first job I've ever truly enjoyed.
It was where I first received my Associate's degree from BYU-Idaho.
It was where I first got called as Primary President and where Dalin got called as Sunday School President.
It was where we first began our family.
It was the place where we first discovered I was pregnant with our darling Tenley.
It was where I did my first ever semester at BYU.
It was where we bought our first TV.
It was where we had our first ever couch from Uncle Cash and Aunt Marisa.
It was where we had our first antique kitchen table and where I painted our first kitchen chairs mustard, aqua, and mint green.
It was where I first started to detest Dalin's noisy and filthy old rocking chair that he adores so much.
It was where I first started to feel like that rocking chair was an old friend, noisy or not.
It was where Dalin broke our first camera when he accidentally pushed it behind the stairs of our stairwell while we were taking pictures.
It was where we first learned about how hard marriage can be.
It was where we first learned how wonderful and amazing and sacred marriage can be.
It was where we first learned of each other's faults.
It was where we first learned to forgive each other.
It was where we had our first fight. 
It was where we cared for each other when the other was ill for the first time.
It was where we celebrated the first year of our eternal marriage.
First TV...lovely
One of my first decent meals
There are a lot of others and I could go on, but I'll let you imagine the rest.

Even though we (especially me I'm sorry to admit) complained about that old apartment (and still complain about the one we're in now because the only difference is a spare bedroom and that we're now on the second floor), it holds a lot of memories for us and I know that one day, looking back we'll miss that tiny place and cherish the firsts we had together there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love to hear from you & will reply if I can!