Monday, October 13

Some Words of Encouragement Especially for Women, Wives, & Mothers

My blogging plans for this month have gone, well, not according to plan. There are so many things I have wanted to talk about on here, but time has gotten away from me, mostly due to completing my online schoolwork (I'm a tad behind on my plan to finish my class by September even though I've been so diligent about it! The reading assignments are longer than I anticipated). 

But that's life, and even though I'm sad October is half over and I haven't been able to enjoy it the way I imagined, the end is in sight. I'm really working on trying to keep an eternal perspective because lately I have personally struggled with being over-stressed, over-worried, and overly concerned with the ways I feel inadequate as a wife, mother, and homemaker. 


Because I am a Mormon, I know that I am a daughter of God and that I am not inadequate. But it is easy to feel that way when you watch those around you succeeding in ways that you feel you should be, too. I frequently feel as though I have let myself down when I hear about others accomplishing my same goals and my dreams. But I have realized how selfish and unfair that is to become jealous or  even feel saddened by the successes of others. I should feel joy for the happinesses of others. They probably worked very hard to get there, whether I can fully attest to that or not. I must also remember that just because someone has accomplished the same goal does not mean that I can't accomplish it, too. 

"If we prayed as much as we worried, we'd have a lot  less to worry about."

I have also recognized (or remembered anyway) that just because I only see the good times and impressive accomplishments of others does not mean that they did not have personal challenges or failures along the way. We are all imperfect and human and it can be easy to forget this (especially when social media makes everyone's lives seem so simple and rose-colored). And so instead of dwelling on what feel like my failures at the expense of others, I am working on celebrating their achievements and successes.

We are all at different stages in our lives. Even those who seem to be in the same place (those who are also married homemaker-students with a one-year old and another on the way in my case) may be further in their personal journey or not quite as far yet. I am striving to enjoy the moment in my own journey. I definitely can't wait for the future and am always thinking about it, but today is what I have to work with and today is when I need to: 
  • make personal changes
  • work hard 
  • serve others
  • love my family
  • be my best self
I am remembering that this life is about my family's and my own personal journey to return Home. I am my own greatest competition because I am a unique child of God and I am the only one He will compare me to. 

Every day, I have three choices: I can choose to remain the same without improving (or even trying to); I can regress to a worse state than I am currently in; or I can choose to be better than my past self. I can look at those areas that need improvement and actually try to improve them, or I can let them remain and persist. 


When I look in the mirror, I want to see the good things about myself. I want to see a wife and mother that is trying her best. I want to see the many things I was able to accomplish during the day, even if they seemed insignificant. I want to stop seeing every flaw in myself and noticing the flaws or shortcomings of others. I want to follow Jesus Christ because He did these things. He did not think of people in terms of better or worse than others but in terms of progressing or not. I want to give my "whole heart and soul." As wonderful Marjorie Pay Hinckley once said:


That woman was (and still is thanks to technology) a fountain of knowledge. I so admire her for her incredible wisdom. She knew just what a young mother needs to hear.


One thing I know is that for the most part, I am progressing. I have chosen a path that only leads upwards, and though I stumble (what feels like many times throughout the day), I am toiling onward because that is what I know I am supposed to do. It's a matter of obedience. I am obedient because I know that obedience brings happiness. And throughout my life, I have found this to be a truth over and over.


I hope that this post, if nothing else, impels you to try a little harder to be a little better. That's really all we have to do to be happy. And who doesn't just want to be happy?

As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts! Here's one more reminder from the lovely Marjorie Hinckley...I need to remember this:

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love to hear from you & will reply if I can!