Wednesday, May 9

Parables of Great Worth

 Matthew 13
The parable of the treasure

44 ¶Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto atreasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.

What sacrifices am I willing to make to obtain the treasures of the gospel?
Knowing the importance of the gospel, it is easy to say I would be willing to make any and all sacrifices necessary. I do want the treasures of the gospel, particularly eternal life, but it hard to always have an eternal perspective. While obtaining Celestial glory is my ultimate goal, it is sometimes hard to think of it every day when school, work, family, and other church things are frequently claiming my attention. But it helps me to remember that as long as I am doing the little things (reading scriptures and praying daily, attending church, etc.) I am in the process of perfecting myself, and therefore becoming more like the Savior Jesus Christ. I know that as I do this, my joy will continue to grow, and I will be blessed for my efforts--if I sincerely give it my very best.

The parable of the pearl of great price

45 ¶Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:
46 Who, when he had found one apearl of great price, went and sold ball that he had, and bought it.

What sacrifices have I and others already made for the gospel?
There are sacrifices that we, as Latter-day Saints, make on a daily basis. Avoiding worldly evils, for one, is a sacrifice, though it may not feel like it for those of us who were raised in the gospel. Being a constant example of Christ is very difficult, especially when we feel far from perfect. But by sacrificing our worldly desires and the behaviors of the common man, we are demonstrating obedience to the gospel. And living the gospel is a sacrifice. I know that such sacrifices do not go unnoticed. Those men and women who dedicate their time to teaching their children correct gospel principles will be blessed beyond measure. Our sacrifices will become pearls of great worth in our lives.

The parable of the net cast into the sea

47 ¶Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and agathered of every kind:
48 Which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away.
 49 So shall it be at the aend of the world: bthe angels shall come forth, and csever the wicked from among the djust,
 50 aAnd shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

What does the net represent in the parable of the net cast into the sea? 
The net represents the kingdom of heaven (gathering good people of every kind).
What does it mean to be gathered into the net?
To be gathered into the net means that we all have the potential to enter the kingdom of heaven. All of us. Some may be kept, others may be cast out, but we all have that potential.
What is represented by the act of gathering the good into vessels and casting the bad away?
The act of gathering the good into vessels represents the righteous being accepted into the kingdom of heaven. Casting out the bad refers to the way that the unrighteous will be cast out of heaven.

I am very grateful for the message of these parables and for the knowledge that if I am doing my best, however simple that may seem, I can still prove myself worthy to enter the kingdom of heaven, where I know a loving Heavenly Fathers welcomes us with joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love to hear from you & will reply if I can!