Monday, June 25

A New Commandment

Jesus showed love to everyone--including those who society mocked and rejected.




I am so excited to write about this subject. I love this scripture and this commandment.


 As I have loved you, love one another
John 13
34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Others can know we are disciples of Christ when we love one another as He has loved us.  
Jesus...
visited and healed the sick,  
calmed troubled hearts,  
set an example for us
 comforted the weary
taught gospel truths, 
served others with His pure love,  
prayed for our welfare
among many other things.

Scenarios where we could extend love:

Someone is mocked for how they look or dress

This would be an opportunity to boldly stand up for another person. We would not let someone take advantage of a friend or family member, so why should be not stand up also for those we consider our neighbors, or even those whom we barely know? The Savior would and has done it. He was a friend to the blind and to the leper, who most of society avoided and would not necessarily be willing to stand up for. A constructive solution to this situation could be as simple as leading the person away from the situation, or as bold as calling out those who are mocking and expressing why such behavior is so cruel, hurtful, and unnecessary.
We see a new person at Church

Jesus was the perfect example of fellowship--He noticed those who were lonely or alone and reached out to them. We ought to do the same by inviting new or less active people to take part in activities. Then, we should do as the Savior would do and go the extra mile by extending a hand of friendship. We ought to stay with them and get to know them, and genuinely show that we care about them. We should be sensitive and loving toward them as they may feel uncomfortable or nervous. It is important that we do not let these people slip through the cracks. They are children of God, too, and need to be looked after.

Do people know I am a disciple of Christ by the way I treat them? 

This week I thought it would be appropriate to focus on serving someone I am close to. The easy choice was my husband, who I am nearly always with. While I try to serve him, I would also like to make an effort to serve my co-workers. I will try to show them love and patience. I will go the extra mile with my work and do my best to make their lives easier, and their days a little better. 

Remember

I know that it is important that we love one another. As we do this, we show our love for Christ and our Father in Heaven. Remember, Matthew 25:40 "And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love to hear from you & will reply if I can!